Deportation of Prabhakaran`s mother evokes sharp reax in Par
New Delhi: Government on Monday came under attack
in Parliament from the Opposition and ally DMK for deporting
mother of LTTE`s slain leader V Prabhararan to Malaysia from
where she had come to India for treatment.
The issue of deportation of 80-year-old Parvathi at
Chennai airport last week, was raised both in the Lok Sabha
and the Rajya Sabha by the DMK and the Left parties, while the
BJP joined them seeking an explanation from the government.
Raising the matter during Zero Hour in the Lok Sabha, DMK
leader T R Baalu alleged that the Tamil Nadu Government was
kept in the dark about deportation of "one person". He did not
name her. He asked why she was deported when she did not have
any criminal record.
Senior BJP leader L K Advani said the government had not
set a good tradition by deporting Parvathi, who had come here
for treatment, without consulting the state government.
"Why did the Indian High Commission in Kuala Lumpur issue
a visa to her," he asked.
In the Rajya Sabha, the issue was raised by D Raja (CPI)
who described the treatment meted out to Prabhakaran`s mother
as "inhuman and shameful". On the one hand, the government
claims to be rehabilitating the Sri Lankan Tamils and on the
other, such happenings occur.
"What is the policy of the government?" he asked. He said
the incident has "sullied" India`s image.
Joining him, S S Ahluwalia (BJP) asked whether parents can
be held liable for the crime committed by their children.
He described the incident as "very unfortunate" when there
are efforts to pardon Nalini, convict in the Rajiv Gandhi
T Siva (DMK) and AIADMK members also supported them.
Baalu`s statement came close on the heels of Tamil Nadu
Chief Minister M Karunanidhi saying his government had no role
in deportation of Parvathi and would write to the Centre to
allow her to come here for medical treatment, if she insisted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars