Deportation of Prabhakaran`s mother figures in Lok Sabha
New Delhi: The issue of deportation of slain LTTE leader V Prabhakaran`s mother was raised in the Lok Sabha Monday, with UPA ally DMK attacking the Centre for keeping Tamil Nadu government in the dark on the issue.
The matter, raised by DMK leader T R Baalu during Zero Hour, was exploited by BJP leader L K Advani who pointed out that Baalu was the leader of a party, which is in the
Baalu, however, did not take Parvathi`s name and referred to her as "one person".
He alleged that the state government was kept in the dark throughout the development and wondered why she was deported when she did not have any criminal background and had come to Chennai for medical treatment.
Seeking a clarification from the Centre, the DMK leader asked "why did the Indian High Commission in Kuala Lumpur issue a visa to her" and why was she deported by immigration authorities at Chennai airport.
He claimed that the AIADMK government had in 2003 written to the Centre demanding blacklisting of Parvathi and her husband, who had left Tiruchirapalli in the state for Sri
Lanka and ban their re-entry into the country.
This drew angry response from the AIADMK members, with party leader S Thambidurai wondering as to why the DMK did not object at that time.
Demanding a statement from the government, Advani regretted that the government had not set a good tradition by deporting Parvathi, who had come here for treatment, without consulting the state government.
Baalu`s statement came close on the heels of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi saying his government had no role in deportation of Parvathi and would write to the Centre to allow her to come here for medical treatment, if she insisted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...