Deportation of Prabhakaran`s mother figures in Lok Sabha
New Delhi: The issue of deportation of slain LTTE leader V Prabhakaran`s mother was raised in the Lok Sabha Monday, with UPA ally DMK attacking the Centre for keeping Tamil Nadu government in the dark on the issue.
The matter, raised by DMK leader T R Baalu during Zero Hour, was exploited by BJP leader L K Advani who pointed out that Baalu was the leader of a party, which is in the
Baalu, however, did not take Parvathi`s name and referred to her as "one person".
He alleged that the state government was kept in the dark throughout the development and wondered why she was deported when she did not have any criminal background and had come to Chennai for medical treatment.
Seeking a clarification from the Centre, the DMK leader asked "why did the Indian High Commission in Kuala Lumpur issue a visa to her" and why was she deported by immigration authorities at Chennai airport.
He claimed that the AIADMK government had in 2003 written to the Centre demanding blacklisting of Parvathi and her husband, who had left Tiruchirapalli in the state for Sri
Lanka and ban their re-entry into the country.
This drew angry response from the AIADMK members, with party leader S Thambidurai wondering as to why the DMK did not object at that time.
Demanding a statement from the government, Advani regretted that the government had not set a good tradition by deporting Parvathi, who had come here for treatment, without consulting the state government.
Baalu`s statement came close on the heels of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi saying his government had no role in deportation of Parvathi and would write to the Centre to allow her to come here for medical treatment, if she insisted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!