Depression over gangetic WB moves northwestwards
New Delhi: The depression over gangetic West Bengal, which caused heavy rainfall in several cities and towns in the state, has moved northwestwards and now lies over Jharkhand, close to Ranchi.
The depression, which was practically stationary on Tuesday, moved northwestwards since then and now lies over Jharkhand and adjoining areas of gangetic West Bengal and north Odisha, about 60 kms southeast of Ranchi, said the Met Department on Wednesday.
Under its influence, the southwest Monsoon has been "vigorous" over West Bengal and active over the northern parts of sub-Himalayan West Bengal, Sikkim, Odisha, Madhya Pradesh and Vidarbha.
The system would move gradually in a westerly direction and weaken into a well-marked low pressure area during next 24 hours, it said.
On the other hand, the upper air cyclonic circulation over south Uttar Pradesh and adjoining north Madhya Pradesh has become less marked.
Heavy to very rainfall has been forecast for Thursday and the day after at isolated places over east and west Madhya Pradesh, Vidarbha, Chhattisgarh, Sub-Himalayan West Bengal and Sikkim, Jharkhand and east Uttar Pradesh.
The axis of Monsoon trough currently passes through Ferozepur, Meerut, Banda, besides the centre of the current depression, Digha stretching towards east central Bay of Bengal.
The country as a whole has received 14 percent excess rainfall this season.
According to the Met Department, the monsoon has remained subdued in Arunachal Pradesh, Punjab, Gujarat, Marathwada, coastal Andhra Pradesh, Rayalaseema and Tamil Nadu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened