Deputy NSA quizzed by CBI in Gujarat encounter case
New Delhi: CBI has questioned Deputy National Security Advisor and former Intelligence Bureau Chief Nehchal Sandhu in connection with Sadiq Jamal encounter in 2003 by Gujarat crime branch.
CBI sources said Sandhu was questioned here this week in connection with the encounter which allegedly occurred following a tip-off received from Intelligence Bureau officials here.
The sources said their probe has indicated that senior officials of the security agency might have been in loop about the tip-off on the encounter making it necessary to question them.
The IB had given an input that Jamal was planning to target senior BJP leaders including Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, L K Advani and some VHP leaders, they said.
The input given by IB was sid to be the reason behind the killing of Jamal, a resident of Bhavnagar city, by a team of Gujarat crime branch in an encounter near Galaxy Cinema on the outskirts of Ahmedabad on January 13, 2003.
Sandhu was the Joint Director (operations) with the IB when the encounter took place. The sources said Sandhu was asked about the input, the transfer of Jamal from the custody of Mumbai Police to Gujarat and other related information which have been collected by CBI during interrogation of other former officials of the IB.
Earlier, CBI has questioned former Special Directors of the IB Sudhir Kumar and Rajinder Kumar in connection with the encounter.
Rajinder Kumar retired in July from the service as the Special Director of the IB.
Sudhir Kumar, a 1968 batch IPS officer who retired as Central Vigilance Commissioner, was posted as Special Director of Intelligence Bureau when this incident took place.
Jamal`s brother Shabir has sought further investigation into the alleged role played by then Joint Director (IB) Rajendra Kumar, former Gujarat Minister of State (MoS) for Home Amit Shah and the Chief Minister in the encounter case.
At that time, the Gujarat Police had claimed that he was a terrorist who entered the city to kill Chief Minister Narendra Modi and VHP leader Pravin Togadia, a claim similar to that made regarding the Ishrat Jahan encounter case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened