Derek O`Brien is TMC chief Whip in Rajya Sabha
New Delhi: Trinamool Congress has named Derek O`Brien as its chief Whip in the Rajya Sabha.
The party, which is a key constituent of the UPA government, has sent a communication in this regard to the Rajya Sabha Secretariat, sources said here today.
The communication from Trinamool Parliamentary Party leader Mukul Roy comes ahead of the Monsoon Session of Parliament beginning on August 8.
The role of the Chief Whip is to ensure that members of the party attend and vote as per the decision of the party.
The Rajya Sabha Secretariat has been informed that O`Brien would attend, on behalf of the party, the meetings of House Business Advisory Committee besides other business of the House in the absence of Roy.
O`Brien, a popular TV personality who hosts quiz shows, joined Trinamool Congress in 2004.
Currently the Vice President of the party, he has been a member of Rajya Sabha since August last year.
The party has nine members in the Upper House of Parliament.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!