Derek O`Brien is TMC chief Whip in Rajya Sabha
New Delhi: Trinamool Congress has named Derek O`Brien as its chief Whip in the Rajya Sabha.
The party, which is a key constituent of the UPA government, has sent a communication in this regard to the Rajya Sabha Secretariat, sources said here today.
The communication from Trinamool Parliamentary Party leader Mukul Roy comes ahead of the Monsoon Session of Parliament beginning on August 8.
The role of the Chief Whip is to ensure that members of the party attend and vote as per the decision of the party.
The Rajya Sabha Secretariat has been informed that O`Brien would attend, on behalf of the party, the meetings of House Business Advisory Committee besides other business of the House in the absence of Roy.
O`Brien, a popular TV personality who hosts quiz shows, joined Trinamool Congress in 2004.
Currently the Vice President of the party, he has been a member of Rajya Sabha since August last year.
The party has nine members in the Upper House of Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state