Derek O`Brien is TMC chief Whip in Rajya Sabha
New Delhi: Trinamool Congress has named Derek O`Brien as its chief Whip in the Rajya Sabha.
The party, which is a key constituent of the UPA government, has sent a communication in this regard to the Rajya Sabha Secretariat, sources said here today.
The communication from Trinamool Parliamentary Party leader Mukul Roy comes ahead of the Monsoon Session of Parliament beginning on August 8.
The role of the Chief Whip is to ensure that members of the party attend and vote as per the decision of the party.
The Rajya Sabha Secretariat has been informed that O`Brien would attend, on behalf of the party, the meetings of House Business Advisory Committee besides other business of the House in the absence of Roy.
O`Brien, a popular TV personality who hosts quiz shows, joined Trinamool Congress in 2004.
Currently the Vice President of the party, he has been a member of Rajya Sabha since August last year.
The party has nine members in the Upper House of Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mainpuri Dalit couple murder: Akhilesh govt assures speedy justice to victim's kin
- Church attacker threatened France in new video
- Australian PM says won't back former leader Rudd for top UN job
- Hillary Clinton unfit to lead US; our way of life is under threat from radical Islam: Donald Trump
- Kathmandu Valley to observe chariot festival today