Deshmukh: need to strengthen Gram Sabha system
New Delhi: Union Rural Development Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh on Wednesday emphasized the need to strengthen the country?s Gram Sabha system to ensure proper implementation of government schemes meant for rural people.
After inaugurating a conference of project directors of District Rural Development Agencies (DRDA), Deshmukh said that the Centre has decided to depute dedicated manpower at the Panchayat level.
He said the posts of Panchayat Development Officer and Junior Engineer will be created.
Emphasizing that there would be zero tolerance for corruption, Deshmukh said: ? The Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) is a flag ship programme of the Centre and the government wants accountability in its corruption free implementation.
?The government has already added a social audit feature to curb the corruption so that people themselves can ask about the funds and their disbursement,? he added.
He further called upon the project directors of DRDAs to constantly endeavour to be sensitive to the livelihood concerns of the people and strive hard to provide them a decent standard of living.
The two-day conference is being attended by project directors from across the country and senior officers from the Ministry of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months