Deshmukh: need to strengthen Gram Sabha system
New Delhi: Union Rural Development Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh on Wednesday emphasized the need to strengthen the country?s Gram Sabha system to ensure proper implementation of government schemes meant for rural people.
After inaugurating a conference of project directors of District Rural Development Agencies (DRDA), Deshmukh said that the Centre has decided to depute dedicated manpower at the Panchayat level.
He said the posts of Panchayat Development Officer and Junior Engineer will be created.
Emphasizing that there would be zero tolerance for corruption, Deshmukh said: ? The Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) is a flag ship programme of the Centre and the government wants accountability in its corruption free implementation.
?The government has already added a social audit feature to curb the corruption so that people themselves can ask about the funds and their disbursement,? he added.
He further called upon the project directors of DRDAs to constantly endeavour to be sensitive to the livelihood concerns of the people and strive hard to provide them a decent standard of living.
The two-day conference is being attended by project directors from across the country and senior officers from the Ministry of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- DNA: Analyzing world's first driverless taxi developed by Singapore company
- `I`m not 100 percent`, admits US Open champion Novak Djokovic
- Kanhaiya, two others granted regular bail in sedition case
- School dropout biggest crisis in India, says Singapore Deputy PM
- Italy quake death toll hits 278, state funeral planned
- Jigisha killer Ravi Kapoor convicted in taxi-driver murder case