Deshmukh: need to strengthen Gram Sabha system
New Delhi: Union Rural Development Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh on Wednesday emphasized the need to strengthen the country?s Gram Sabha system to ensure proper implementation of government schemes meant for rural people.
After inaugurating a conference of project directors of District Rural Development Agencies (DRDA), Deshmukh said that the Centre has decided to depute dedicated manpower at the Panchayat level.
He said the posts of Panchayat Development Officer and Junior Engineer will be created.
Emphasizing that there would be zero tolerance for corruption, Deshmukh said: ? The Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) is a flag ship programme of the Centre and the government wants accountability in its corruption free implementation.
?The government has already added a social audit feature to curb the corruption so that people themselves can ask about the funds and their disbursement,? he added.
He further called upon the project directors of DRDAs to constantly endeavour to be sensitive to the livelihood concerns of the people and strive hard to provide them a decent standard of living.
The two-day conference is being attended by project directors from across the country and senior officers from the Ministry of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli