Deshmukh`s condition stable: Hospital executive
Chennai: The condition of Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh, undergoing treatment at a hospital for serious liver ailment, is "stable", a top hospital executive said on Wednesday.
"Yes, he is stable," K Ravindranath, Chairman and Managing Director of Global Hospitals told reporters in a brief comment on the condition of 67-year-old Deshmukh who was admitted to the hospital on Monday.
Asked whether Deshmukh would be required to undergo a liver transplant, he said "First he has to improve, then we will think about it."
This is the first time that the hospital authorities had made any public statement on the condition of the former Maharashtra Chief minister and senior Congress leader.
Hospital authorities have all along remained tight-lipped maintaining that Deshmukh`s family had requested them to respect their privacy and that they would inform the public about his condition through social media.
Hospital sources had earlier in the day said the condition of Deshmukh, the Science and Technology Minister, was "still critical" while his family members were quoted as saying that he had shown improvement since his admission.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan accompanied by Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar and several other ministers visited the hospital and enquired about Deshmukh`s condition with his family members.
Chavan declined to talk to the waiting mediapersons, but minister Pandurang Kadam and Congress MP Vilas Muttemwar said the family members informed them that Deshmukh was improving.
"What we know is that he is improving and his condition is better than what it was when he was in Breach Candy Hospital in Mumbai (from where he was flown in an air ambulance here)," Muttemwar said.
Kadam, quoting family members of Deshmukh, said the former Maharashtra chief minister was improving.
A team doctors of several specialities, including noted liver transplant surgeon Dr Mohamed Rela, are treating Deshmukh, who is on life-support systems.
Meanwhile, Deshmukh`s family members offered prayers at the famous 11th century Sri Marundheeswarar (Lord Shiva) temple here last night for his speedy recovery, temple sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family