`Designing aircraft carrier Vikrant was complex, challenging`
New Delhi: Ahead of the launch of its first indigenous aircraft carrier at Kochi on August 12, Directorate of Naval Design on Saturday termed it as one of its most "complex and challenging" works which would be considered as a key success in Indian Navy`s indigenisation programme.
Director General, Naval Design, Rear Admiral AK Saxena said the 37,500 tonne carrier`s design and capacity went through many changes and also suffered setbacks, caused by fund constraint, before "Mig 29K came on the horizon", prompting the directorate to build a carrier big and efficient enough to handle it.
"It took us seven to eight years to design it," he said, adding it would have over 1400-member crew.
Defence Minister A K Antony`s wife Elizabeth Antony will launch the carrier, to be named Vikrant, capable of handling 30-odd fighter aircraft.
The warship would be able to join duty in 2018. Its launch would catapult India to a select group of four countries capable of manufacturing and operating a 40,000 tonne carrier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says