Desirable that PAC withdraws suo motu from 2G probe: Chacko
Thrissur: Threatening escalation of the turf war with the Public Accounts Committee, JPC chairman on 2G spectrum scam PC Chacko on Monday said he may be compelled to ask BJP leaders Jaswant Singh and Yashwant Sinha to
withdraw from proceedings and wanted the PAC to back out from
the spectrum probe suo motu.
If former ministers like Singh and Sinha were allowed
to continue, Chacko said he would be compelled to ask them to
keep off the meeting when issues concerning their tenure come
up for discussions.
On the continuance of the former BJP ministers in the
JPC, Chacko said he had communicated his views on this
question to Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar.
"It was within the powers of the Speaker to take a
decision in this matter and that would be final," he said.
Chacko, who has been strongly opposed to PAC spreading
its enquiry into the spectrum scam beyond the CAG findings,
also said that it would be "desirable" for the PAC headed by
BJP leader Murali Manohar Joshi to withdraw suo motu from the
All the opposition parties had unanimously demanded
the formation of the JPC on the matter arguing that PAC
inquiry would not be effective to unearth all the details.
The Opposition had aborted an entire session of
Parliament pressing for the constitution of the JPC to look
into the matter even when the PAC investigations were going
on, he said.
"If the PAC withdrew from the probe on its own, it
would help avoid duplication of looking into the same subject
by two panels," he said.
He said inquiry by two agencies into the same subject
would also amount to violation parliamentary rules and
Chacko said the JPC probe on 2G spectrum allocation
scam with specific terms of reference was unanimously endorsed
by Parliament and a parallel probe into the same subject was
to be avoided.
The dominant view among JPC members was that PAC`s
domain was limited to look into the reports of the Comptroller
and Auditor General but the latter had transgressed its limit
by looking into issues of `telecom licence policy`, Chacko
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way