Despite Gadkari denial, Sikh body threatens protest over remark
New Delhi: Despite BJP chief Nitin Gadkari`s
denial of having given a clean chit to Congress on its role in
1984 riots, a Sikh organisation today warned of nationwide
protests against him from tomorrow over his comments.
"Gadkari`s statement that there was no role of Congress
in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots has hurt the entire Sikh community
in India and abroad and it is a dangerous comment," All India
Sikh Conference president Gurcharan Singh Babbar said.
"He must answer who was responsible for the deadly
carnage if Congress was not behind this or else the Sikh
community will also hold the RSS and BJP responsible for it,"
he told reporters here.
Singh said if Gadkari`s statement was accepted then it
would imply that the continuous efforts by Sikhs to get
justice for the last 26 years was a "sheer waste".
He also warned of nationwide protests against Gadkari
starting tomorrow, saying, "There would be widespread protests
wherever Sikh communities exist and it will only get more stronger."
Gadkari was recently quoted as saying in a radio report
that some people might be involved in 1984 riots but it would
not be entirely correct to say that the riots were initiated
by the Congress government.
The BJP chief later said he has not given any clean chit
to the Congress in the anti-Sikh riots.
"I have not said any such thing and I have been quoted
out of context...My statement was totally misinterpreted. The
reference was to riots in Gujarat where Chief Minister
Narendra Modi was being blamed and held responsible," he had
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?