Despite Gadkari denial, Sikh body threatens protest over remark
New Delhi: Despite BJP chief Nitin Gadkari`s
denial of having given a clean chit to Congress on its role in
1984 riots, a Sikh organisation today warned of nationwide
protests against him from tomorrow over his comments.
"Gadkari`s statement that there was no role of Congress
in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots has hurt the entire Sikh community
in India and abroad and it is a dangerous comment," All India
Sikh Conference president Gurcharan Singh Babbar said.
"He must answer who was responsible for the deadly
carnage if Congress was not behind this or else the Sikh
community will also hold the RSS and BJP responsible for it,"
he told reporters here.
Singh said if Gadkari`s statement was accepted then it
would imply that the continuous efforts by Sikhs to get
justice for the last 26 years was a "sheer waste".
He also warned of nationwide protests against Gadkari
starting tomorrow, saying, "There would be widespread protests
wherever Sikh communities exist and it will only get more stronger."
Gadkari was recently quoted as saying in a radio report
that some people might be involved in 1984 riots but it would
not be entirely correct to say that the riots were initiated
by the Congress government.
The BJP chief later said he has not given any clean chit
to the Congress in the anti-Sikh riots.
"I have not said any such thing and I have been quoted
out of context...My statement was totally misinterpreted. The
reference was to riots in Gujarat where Chief Minister
Narendra Modi was being blamed and held responsible," he had
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note