Destinies of India, Bangladesh convergent: Speaker
New Delhi: India and Bangladesh should cooperate in every sphere as their destinies are convergent, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar said here on Friday.
Welcoming an eight-member parliamentary delegation from Bangladesh led by Mohammad Fazle Rabbi, Kumar said India attached the highest importance to its relationship with Bangladesh due to their shared history, common heritage, linguistic and cultural ties.
On economic and trade engagements, Kumar said the destinies of the two countries were convergent and it was to their mutual benefit that they cooperate in every sphere.
"Increase in trade and economic engagement between the two countries would be mutually beneficial," she said.
The Speaker also appreciated Dhaka`s gesture to honour its Indian friends for their contribution to the Liberation War of Bangladesh.
"The bonds of the 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War and common ideals of democracy, liberal values, secularism and the rule of law will remain with them forever," she said.
Kumar stressed that a stable, prosperous, secure and progressive Bangladesh is in the interest of India and the entire region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Saif Ali Khan, Rani Mukerji's 'Hum Tum' ticks 12 years!
- Not most fashionable but carry myself well: Fawad Khan
- FIs can obtain self-certification via internet banking: CBDT
- Tata Communications Q4 net loss widens to Rs 205 crore
- Kapil Sharma invites you to unlimited fun with Mika Singh and Chris Gayle at 'The Kapil Sharma Show'!