Destinies of India, Bangladesh convergent: Speaker
New Delhi: India and Bangladesh should cooperate in every sphere as their destinies are convergent, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar said here on Friday.
Welcoming an eight-member parliamentary delegation from Bangladesh led by Mohammad Fazle Rabbi, Kumar said India attached the highest importance to its relationship with Bangladesh due to their shared history, common heritage, linguistic and cultural ties.
On economic and trade engagements, Kumar said the destinies of the two countries were convergent and it was to their mutual benefit that they cooperate in every sphere.
"Increase in trade and economic engagement between the two countries would be mutually beneficial," she said.
The Speaker also appreciated Dhaka`s gesture to honour its Indian friends for their contribution to the Liberation War of Bangladesh.
"The bonds of the 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War and common ideals of democracy, liberal values, secularism and the rule of law will remain with them forever," she said.
Kumar stressed that a stable, prosperous, secure and progressive Bangladesh is in the interest of India and the entire region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- Invoking Ambedkar's legacy, PM Modi says no rethink on quotas as Sena boycotts his events in Mumbai