Destinies of India, Bangladesh convergent: Speaker
New Delhi: India and Bangladesh should cooperate in every sphere as their destinies are convergent, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar said here on Friday.
Welcoming an eight-member parliamentary delegation from Bangladesh led by Mohammad Fazle Rabbi, Kumar said India attached the highest importance to its relationship with Bangladesh due to their shared history, common heritage, linguistic and cultural ties.
On economic and trade engagements, Kumar said the destinies of the two countries were convergent and it was to their mutual benefit that they cooperate in every sphere.
"Increase in trade and economic engagement between the two countries would be mutually beneficial," she said.
The Speaker also appreciated Dhaka`s gesture to honour its Indian friends for their contribution to the Liberation War of Bangladesh.
"The bonds of the 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War and common ideals of democracy, liberal values, secularism and the rule of law will remain with them forever," she said.
Kumar stressed that a stable, prosperous, secure and progressive Bangladesh is in the interest of India and the entire region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days