Destinies of India, Bangladesh convergent: Speaker
New Delhi: India and Bangladesh should cooperate in every sphere as their destinies are convergent, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar said here on Friday.
Welcoming an eight-member parliamentary delegation from Bangladesh led by Mohammad Fazle Rabbi, Kumar said India attached the highest importance to its relationship with Bangladesh due to their shared history, common heritage, linguistic and cultural ties.
On economic and trade engagements, Kumar said the destinies of the two countries were convergent and it was to their mutual benefit that they cooperate in every sphere.
"Increase in trade and economic engagement between the two countries would be mutually beneficial," she said.
The Speaker also appreciated Dhaka`s gesture to honour its Indian friends for their contribution to the Liberation War of Bangladesh.
"The bonds of the 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War and common ideals of democracy, liberal values, secularism and the rule of law will remain with them forever," she said.
Kumar stressed that a stable, prosperous, secure and progressive Bangladesh is in the interest of India and the entire region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray