Details of PM-Tharoor meetings confidential: PMO
New Delhi: The PMO has refused to make public the details of the meetings Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had with Shashi Tharoor just before his resignation as Minister of State for External Affairs at the height of IPL controversy in April, citing exemption in matters of national security and "confidential" third party information.
The Prime Minister`s Office, after taking the views of External Affairs Ministry, said details of meetings where matters relating to country`s sovereignty and integrity, its
security, strategic, scientific, or economic interests and relations with foreign States are discussed cannot be given under the Right to Information Act.
It also said that details of meetings where "confidential third party information" is discussed cannot be given under the transparency law.
54-year-old Tharoor resigned on April 18 after IPL Commissioner Lalit Modi revealed that the Thiruvananthapuram MP`s friend Sunanda Pushkar had equity stake in Rendezvous Sports World (RSW), heading the consortium that owns the Kochi
The issue erupted as a major controversy after opposition parties made a strong demand for his removal on the ground that he misused office for pecuniary gain.
The Prime Minister called the diplomat-turned-minister on more than a couple of occasions before he tendered his resignation on the night of April 18.
RTI applicant Abhishek Shukla had sought the minutes of meetings between the two leaders between April 17-19 from the Prime Minister`s Office. The application was transferred to the External Affairs Ministry by the PMO.
"The office (MEA) has invoked exemption from disclosure of details of PM`s appointments under Section 8 of the Act as this includes all such meetings where issues discussed may, inter alia, include matters relating to sovereignty and integrity of India, the security, strategic, scientific, or economic interests of the State and relations with foreign States as well as confidential third party information," Central Public Information Officer of the PMO said.
CPIO Sanjukta Ray wrote, "After due consideration, I am satisfied with the view taken by the office that the information sought is exempted from disclosure in terms of the
provisions of section 8(1) of the Right to Information Act, 2005."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation