Detained Indian captain`s wife denies charges
Mangalore: Wife of Glen Aroza, Indian captain
of a Panama vessel, who has been detained in Hualien Taiwan on
charge that it collided with a Taiwanese trawler killing two
fishermen, on Tuesday denied the allegation and dubbed the
detention and investigation as "illegal".
"Allegations of any neglect or wrongful act of the master
(of the ship) are without any basis," Preetha Aroza said.
"The detention and investigation against the master and
crew of Panama vessel TOSA are patently illegal and without
jurisdiction," she said on her husband`s detention since April
"TOSA was on the high seas well outside Taiwan`s
territorial waters as defined by international law. Thus the
Taiwanese authorities have no criminal or civil jurisdiction."
Furthermore, there was no evidence of any contact between
the trawler and the ship, and the inspection of the hulls of
the trawler and TOSA revealed no physical contact, Preetha
She said it was later alleged that the 21.6 metres long
and 100 ton trawler capsized due to the waves created by TOSA.
"However, anyone with nodding acquaintance with ships and
seas, know that it is impossible for a trawler of that size to
capsize due to waves created by a ship in wind force 5/6
Beaufort scale (scale of wind speed), unless the trawler was
inherently unstable and un-seaworthy," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!