Determined to root out corruption: PM
New Delhi: With his government and some ministers hit by allegations of corruption, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday reiterated that the UPA government was determined to root out corruption but it should be done in a manner that honest officials do not become scared of working.
Addressing a massive rally of the Congress party at Ramlila Maidan here, the Prime Minister said: "It is our duty that we don`t allow corruption, and ensure those people involved in corruption get strict punishment...But we have to keep in mind that we should not create such an atmosphere that honest people become scared of taking steps for progress of the country."
He reiterated that his government is determined to root out corruption.
On October 10, while addressing officers of the CBI and state anti-corruption bureaus, the Prime Minister had cautioned that the negativity and despondency over corruption could hurt the country`s image and sap its morale.
He had said then that "the mindless atmosphere of negativity and pessimism that is sought to be created over the issue of corruption can do us no good. It can only damage our country`s image and hit the morale of the executive."
The United Progressive Alliance government has been buffeted by allegations of corruption, including over allocations of coal blocks and the 2G spectrum, while the India Against Corruption (IAC) of Arvind Kejriwal has alleged financial impropriety against a union minister and Congress chief Sonia Gandhi`s son-in-law Robert Vadra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!