Determined to root out corruption: PM
New Delhi: With his government and some ministers hit by allegations of corruption, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday reiterated that the UPA government was determined to root out corruption but it should be done in a manner that honest officials do not become scared of working.
Addressing a massive rally of the Congress party at Ramlila Maidan here, the Prime Minister said: "It is our duty that we don`t allow corruption, and ensure those people involved in corruption get strict punishment...But we have to keep in mind that we should not create such an atmosphere that honest people become scared of taking steps for progress of the country."
He reiterated that his government is determined to root out corruption.
On October 10, while addressing officers of the CBI and state anti-corruption bureaus, the Prime Minister had cautioned that the negativity and despondency over corruption could hurt the country`s image and sap its morale.
He had said then that "the mindless atmosphere of negativity and pessimism that is sought to be created over the issue of corruption can do us no good. It can only damage our country`s image and hit the morale of the executive."
The United Progressive Alliance government has been buffeted by allegations of corruption, including over allocations of coal blocks and the 2G spectrum, while the India Against Corruption (IAC) of Arvind Kejriwal has alleged financial impropriety against a union minister and Congress chief Sonia Gandhi`s son-in-law Robert Vadra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened