Determined to root out corruption: PM
New Delhi: With his government and some ministers hit by allegations of corruption, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday reiterated that the UPA government was determined to root out corruption but it should be done in a manner that honest officials do not become scared of working.
Addressing a massive rally of the Congress party at Ramlila Maidan here, the Prime Minister said: "It is our duty that we don`t allow corruption, and ensure those people involved in corruption get strict punishment...But we have to keep in mind that we should not create such an atmosphere that honest people become scared of taking steps for progress of the country."
He reiterated that his government is determined to root out corruption.
On October 10, while addressing officers of the CBI and state anti-corruption bureaus, the Prime Minister had cautioned that the negativity and despondency over corruption could hurt the country`s image and sap its morale.
He had said then that "the mindless atmosphere of negativity and pessimism that is sought to be created over the issue of corruption can do us no good. It can only damage our country`s image and hit the morale of the executive."
The United Progressive Alliance government has been buffeted by allegations of corruption, including over allocations of coal blocks and the 2G spectrum, while the India Against Corruption (IAC) of Arvind Kejriwal has alleged financial impropriety against a union minister and Congress chief Sonia Gandhi`s son-in-law Robert Vadra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray