Dev Anand was against Indira`s Emergency: Advani
New Delhi: BJP leader LK Advani, once a film critic, has lauded Dev Anand for his opposition to the Emergency rule imposed by prime minister Indira Gandhi.
Speaking at the 89th birth anniversary celebrations of the late actor, director, writer and producer of Hindi movies, Advani recalled Dev Anand`s political activism during the 1975-77 Emergency.
"He led a group of film personalities and stood against the internal Emergency imposed by Indra Gandhi," he said here Monday at an event jointly organised by Delhi Study Group and the Dev Anand Fans Forum.
"He actively campaigned in support of the democratic political forces in the 1977 Parliamentary election," which led to the ouster of the Congress party, Advani said.
Advani also recalled that Dev Anand accompanied then prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee on his Lahore bus trip in 1999.
Dev Anand was conferred the Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 2002 on the recommendation of the Vajpayee government.
Dev Anand dedicated 65 years of his life to cinema and acted in more than 110 movies.
He started his career in the black and white era with the 1946 film "Hum Ek Hain".
As an actor, he proved his versatility with hits like "Tere Ghar Ke Samne", "Johny Mera Naam", "Jewel Thief" and "Guide". As director, he made "Prem Pujari", "Hare Rama Hare Krishna" and "Des Pardes".
Delhi Study Group`s Vijay Jolly, a BJP leader, recalled his close association with Dev Anand since the late 1970s.
"To speak and see positive was a trait of Dev Anand," Jolly said.
Speaking on the occasion, Dev Anand`s son Suneil Anand announced the next new movie under the banner of Navketan Films titled "Vagator Mixer".
The English language movie will be based on the theme of a beach in Goa, he said.
Suneil Anand said he will play the lead role, write its script and also direct the movie. It will be launched with a new star cast in December.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!