Dev Anand was against Indira`s Emergency: Advani
New Delhi: BJP leader LK Advani, once a film critic, has lauded Dev Anand for his opposition to the Emergency rule imposed by prime minister Indira Gandhi.
Speaking at the 89th birth anniversary celebrations of the late actor, director, writer and producer of Hindi movies, Advani recalled Dev Anand`s political activism during the 1975-77 Emergency.
"He led a group of film personalities and stood against the internal Emergency imposed by Indra Gandhi," he said here Monday at an event jointly organised by Delhi Study Group and the Dev Anand Fans Forum.
"He actively campaigned in support of the democratic political forces in the 1977 Parliamentary election," which led to the ouster of the Congress party, Advani said.
Advani also recalled that Dev Anand accompanied then prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee on his Lahore bus trip in 1999.
Dev Anand was conferred the Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 2002 on the recommendation of the Vajpayee government.
Dev Anand dedicated 65 years of his life to cinema and acted in more than 110 movies.
He started his career in the black and white era with the 1946 film "Hum Ek Hain".
As an actor, he proved his versatility with hits like "Tere Ghar Ke Samne", "Johny Mera Naam", "Jewel Thief" and "Guide". As director, he made "Prem Pujari", "Hare Rama Hare Krishna" and "Des Pardes".
Delhi Study Group`s Vijay Jolly, a BJP leader, recalled his close association with Dev Anand since the late 1970s.
"To speak and see positive was a trait of Dev Anand," Jolly said.
Speaking on the occasion, Dev Anand`s son Suneil Anand announced the next new movie under the banner of Navketan Films titled "Vagator Mixer".
The English language movie will be based on the theme of a beach in Goa, he said.
Suneil Anand said he will play the lead role, write its script and also direct the movie. It will be launched with a new star cast in December.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory