Deve Gowda rues disruption of Parliament
Bangalore: Former prime minister HD Deve Gowda on Wednesday rued that opposition parties did not allow Parliament to function on `coalgate` issue and as a result none of the issues concerning farmers could be discussed.
No issue concerning farmers could be debated because Parliament was not allowed to function, he told a press meet here.
On Cauvery river water sharing issue, Gowda chose to wait for the outcome of the Cauvery River Authority meet.
However, he advised restraint to those staging protest against water release and not to make comments on judiciary.
Taking a dig at former Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa for his visit to drought hit areas in Hassan district, he said, "When potato growers of Hassan district suffered extensive losses, Yeddyurappa, as Chief Minister did not grant a paise relief to them. Now he is visiting drought affected areas of my district."
Gowda, who represents Hassan Lok Sabha seat, and his son H D Revanna, MLA from Holenarasipur Assembly constituency in Hassan, had undertook agitation seeking relief to potato growers two years ago.
Gowda urged the Centre to write-off farm credit of farmers in the state as the farming community was in deep distress.
Earlier loan waiver scheme to the extent of Rs 77,000 crore announced by Centre did not help farmers, he claimed.
Gowda claimed following his plea, Union Commerce Minister Anand Sharma has promised to start the e-auctioning process of tobacco in Karnataka from September 26.
In the aftermath of the Tobacco Board deciding to postpone the auction slated for this month to next month, merchants from Guntur were trying to take advantage of the situation to purchase the produce at lower prices.
He appealed to farmers not to resort to distress sale of tobacco.
Parts of Hassan, Mysore and Belgaum produce high quality virginia tobacco, which has demand for export from Russia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- Sachin Tendulkar accepts IOA's invitation to become India's Goodwill Ambassador for upcoming Rio Olympics
- IPL 2016: Gujarat Lions vs Delhi Daredevils - Possible XI, date, time, venue, TV listing, live streaming
- Fed up of repeated ads on odd-even featuring Arvind Kejriwal? Watch this viral video slamming Delhi CM
- Sensex slumps 232 points; Nifty cracks below 7,800-mark
- Govinda took Dawood Ibrahim's help to defeat me in 2004 Lok Sabha polls: Ram Naik