Deve Gowda rues disruption of Parliament
Bangalore: Former prime minister HD Deve Gowda on Wednesday rued that opposition parties did not allow Parliament to function on `coalgate` issue and as a result none of the issues concerning farmers could be discussed.
No issue concerning farmers could be debated because Parliament was not allowed to function, he told a press meet here.
On Cauvery river water sharing issue, Gowda chose to wait for the outcome of the Cauvery River Authority meet.
However, he advised restraint to those staging protest against water release and not to make comments on judiciary.
Taking a dig at former Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa for his visit to drought hit areas in Hassan district, he said, "When potato growers of Hassan district suffered extensive losses, Yeddyurappa, as Chief Minister did not grant a paise relief to them. Now he is visiting drought affected areas of my district."
Gowda, who represents Hassan Lok Sabha seat, and his son H D Revanna, MLA from Holenarasipur Assembly constituency in Hassan, had undertook agitation seeking relief to potato growers two years ago.
Gowda urged the Centre to write-off farm credit of farmers in the state as the farming community was in deep distress.
Earlier loan waiver scheme to the extent of Rs 77,000 crore announced by Centre did not help farmers, he claimed.
Gowda claimed following his plea, Union Commerce Minister Anand Sharma has promised to start the e-auctioning process of tobacco in Karnataka from September 26.
In the aftermath of the Tobacco Board deciding to postpone the auction slated for this month to next month, merchants from Guntur were trying to take advantage of the situation to purchase the produce at lower prices.
He appealed to farmers not to resort to distress sale of tobacco.
Parts of Hassan, Mysore and Belgaum produce high quality virginia tobacco, which has demand for export from Russia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal