Develop seeds, crop varieties tolerant to drought: Kakodkar
Bangalore: Weather would become more erratic in
the coming years due to climate change and the country needed
to come out with drought-tolerant seeds and crop varieties to
promote food security and boost agricultural output, Chairman
of Atomic Energy Commission Anil Kakodkar said on Sunday.
Given the country`s economic growth, and population, which
is not stable, it needed to produce more foodgrains in view of
larger buying power and demand, he said at a national
symposium on "The application of nuclear and space
technologies for the benefit of farmers".
Noting that excess rainfall in some regions and drought
conditions in some others in the country gave "shock" to food
output, Kakodkar, also Secretary in the Department of Atomic
Energy, said the country had to bring down vulnerability to
He stressed the role of science and space technologies to
assist in the matters relating to seeds, crop varieties and
agriculture patterns and related issues.
"...We need crop seeds and crop varieties which are
drought-tolerant. So, we need to be able to prepare different
crop varieties, different types of seeds which can produce
plants which are tolerant to drought, tolerant to different
kinds of diseases and adjust to variations of climate change".
Kakodkar also said the country should introduce
technologies in different regions based on the kinds of soil
that exists there. He added that salinity of water was going
to increase in future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror