Develop seeds, crop varieties tolerant to drought: Kakodkar
Bangalore: Weather would become more erratic in
the coming years due to climate change and the country needed
to come out with drought-tolerant seeds and crop varieties to
promote food security and boost agricultural output, Chairman
of Atomic Energy Commission Anil Kakodkar said on Sunday.
Given the country`s economic growth, and population, which
is not stable, it needed to produce more foodgrains in view of
larger buying power and demand, he said at a national
symposium on "The application of nuclear and space
technologies for the benefit of farmers".
Noting that excess rainfall in some regions and drought
conditions in some others in the country gave "shock" to food
output, Kakodkar, also Secretary in the Department of Atomic
Energy, said the country had to bring down vulnerability to
He stressed the role of science and space technologies to
assist in the matters relating to seeds, crop varieties and
agriculture patterns and related issues.
"...We need crop seeds and crop varieties which are
drought-tolerant. So, we need to be able to prepare different
crop varieties, different types of seeds which can produce
plants which are tolerant to drought, tolerant to different
kinds of diseases and adjust to variations of climate change".
Kakodkar also said the country should introduce
technologies in different regions based on the kinds of soil
that exists there. He added that salinity of water was going
to increase in future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!