Development potential of NE region must be realised: President
New Delhi: President Pratibha Patil today
said the North-east region holds "immense development
potential" and every effort should be made to realise it.
On the occasion of the 175th anniversary celebrations of
the Assam Rifles, Patil said, "Construction of good physical
infrastructure as well as enhancing the capacity of the people
through education and skill building are tasks of high
"During my stays there (in the north-east), I have
observed that this region of our country holds immense
development potential. Every effort must be made to ensure
that it is realised," she said at a function here.
"I am told that the Assam Rifles has been carrying out
various civic action programmes for the welfare of the people
in remote and inaccessible parts of the North East," she said.
Patil said, "Their long association with the region gives
them a special understanding of its people, because of which
they are referred to as `Friends of the Hill People`. In
recognising the achievements of the Assam Rifles, the nation
also acknowledges the contribution of the force in nation
building, by assimilation of the people of the North-east into
the national mainstream."
The President said the force continues to render
invaluable service in guarding our North-east Frontiers and in
maintaining internal security.
Lauding the role of the force in containing insurgency in
the North-east region, she said the force has also contributed
to ensuring peaceful elections in the region and thereby,
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- AP Board SSC class 10th Results 2016 is likely to be declared on May 5
- Deal reached in Ireland to form minority government: Party
- Venkaiah Naidu, Siddaramaiah flag off south India's first underground Metro
- Terror attack foiled in Saudi Arabia
- US puts Germany, China on watchlist for economic surpluses