Development should reach the poor: PM
New Delhi: The United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government will always try to ensure that economic development reaches the poorer and weaker sections of society, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said here on Tuesday.
"We want an economic development which is equitable," Manmohan Singh said at a meeting of the All India Congress Committee here.
The Congress-led UPA government had in the last six and a half years always looked after the welfare of the "aam aadmi (ordinary people)", he said.
He praised Congress president Sonia Gandhi for her "dynamic" leadership. "Sonia Gandhi has given a new direction to the Congress in the last 12 years," said Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Fresh FIR against Radhe Maa on complaint by Dolly Bindra
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?