Development should reach the poor: PM
New Delhi: The United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government will always try to ensure that economic development reaches the poorer and weaker sections of society, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said here on Tuesday.
"We want an economic development which is equitable," Manmohan Singh said at a meeting of the All India Congress Committee here.
The Congress-led UPA government had in the last six and a half years always looked after the welfare of the "aam aadmi (ordinary people)", he said.
He praised Congress president Sonia Gandhi for her "dynamic" leadership. "Sonia Gandhi has given a new direction to the Congress in the last 12 years," said Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city