Development should reach the poor: PM
New Delhi: The United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government will always try to ensure that economic development reaches the poorer and weaker sections of society, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said here on Tuesday.
"We want an economic development which is equitable," Manmohan Singh said at a meeting of the All India Congress Committee here.
The Congress-led UPA government had in the last six and a half years always looked after the welfare of the "aam aadmi (ordinary people)", he said.
He praised Congress president Sonia Gandhi for her "dynamic" leadership. "Sonia Gandhi has given a new direction to the Congress in the last 12 years," said Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi