Development work in Gujarat done with central funds: Sibal
New Delhi: In a veiled criticism of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, Union Minister Kapil Sibal on Friday said development works in the state were being implemented using central funds and he had not done "anything significant".
Without taking Modi`s name, the Telecom Minister said somebody wins thrice in his state and thinks he is a contender for the post of Prime Minister.
"There, somebody wins three times and thinks he is a contender. And he has not done anything significant there, whatever has been done is through central funds," Sibal said after inaugurating road projects in Ballimaran Assembly seat.
Comparing him with Sheila Dikshit, he said the Delhi Chief Minister will be voted to power for the fourth consecutive time when the Assembly polls take place this year as her connect with people is "unparalleled".
"Sheila Dikshit builds roads, ensures connectivity, but the way she connects with the hearts is unparalleled. This is why I can declare today that Sheila Dikshit is coming to power for the fourth time in November this year because she is no less than Tendulkar," he said.
Dikshit, who also addressed the gathering, said her government won here thrice because it has delivered on its promises.
"There are so many other Chief Ministers, many states which beat huge trumpets, some even project themselves not only as Chief Ministers but as Prime Minister even before elections," she said in an apparent reference to Modi.
About the development works done under her tenure, she said, "You can see world`s number two airport in Delhi, and you can see a Metro which has no parallel anywhere. Even foreigners come to see how it transports 20-22 lakh people every day."
"You can see electricity. There are a lot of youths here who don`t even remember that there used to be eight to nine hour power outages in Delhi once. It is the pledge of our government that the first thing that we want to ensure is 24-hour power availability and we have done that," she said.
Referring to allegations by BJP and Aam Aadmi Party over power issues, she said people will try to "instigate you" saying the bills are inflated.
"Let me tell you that you cannot compare bills for 24-hour power supply to that of eight hours," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now