Devotees throng temples on Maha Shivratri
New Delhi: Amid chiming of bells and chanting of mantras, enthusiastic Lord Shiva devotees formed serpentine queues outside temples to offer prayers on the occasion of Maha Shivartri, which was marred by a temple stampede in Uttar Pradesh that killed two persons and injured 12.
Fervour gripped the devotees across the country, who undertook a day-long fast and offered Jalabhisheks to Lord Shiva on the occasion.
In Barabanki district of Uttar Pradesh, two persons were killed and 12 injured when a stampede broke out at a Shiva temple.
The incident occurred in the wee hours at Lodeshwar Mahadev Temple when the barricades collapsed due to the heavy rush of devotees.
In Varanasi, the city believed to be founded by Lord Shiva according to legends, devotees undertook fast and took bath in Ganga as they offered prayers at the historic Kashi Vishwanath and other temples of the city.
The Maha Kumbh came to an end in Allahabad, where lakh took a dip at the Sangam, the holy confluence of Ganga, Yamuna and mythical Saraswati on Maha Shivratri.
On this occasion, chief priest of the famous Kedarnath temple in Garhwal Himalayas, one of the 12 Jyotirlingas of Lord Shiva, announced reopening of temple`s sacred portals on May 14.
Thousands of devotees today took a holy dip in river Godavari and visited the Trimbakeshwar, Someshwar and other temples in Nashik district of Maharashtra.
According to the Hindu calendar, Maha Shivratri is celebrated a day or two before the new moon in the month of Phalgun (February-March).
Lord Shiva is considered one of the deities of Hindu Trinity, the other two being Lord Brahma and Lord Vishnu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state