Devotees throng to take holy dip in `sangam`
Allahabad (UP): Braving chilly weather,
lakhs of devotees on Monday thronged the confluence of Ganga,
Yamuna and mythical river Saraswati here on the auspicious
occasion of `Mauni Amavasya`.
People from nearby villages as well as far-off places in
the country had started pouring in since last night to take
holy dip in the `sangam` on the occasion, which was rendered
more special this year on account of the no-moon day
coinciding with a Monday.
Tight security arrangements were in place in the
sprawling landscape around the `sangam` where the annual
religious congregation of `magh mela` is also underway.
Local police assisted by Provincial Armed Constabulary,
in addition to personnel from Anti-Terrorist Squad and Special
Task Force of Uttar Pradesh police kept a round-the-clock
vigil as devotees went on with their ritual bathing.
Entry of vehicles into the area around the `sangam` had
been suspended since yesterday afternoon which resulted in
traffic snarls at various areas across the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof