Devotees throng to take holy dip in `sangam`
Allahabad (UP): Braving chilly weather,
lakhs of devotees on Monday thronged the confluence of Ganga,
Yamuna and mythical river Saraswati here on the auspicious
occasion of `Mauni Amavasya`.
People from nearby villages as well as far-off places in
the country had started pouring in since last night to take
holy dip in the `sangam` on the occasion, which was rendered
more special this year on account of the no-moon day
coinciding with a Monday.
Tight security arrangements were in place in the
sprawling landscape around the `sangam` where the annual
religious congregation of `magh mela` is also underway.
Local police assisted by Provincial Armed Constabulary,
in addition to personnel from Anti-Terrorist Squad and Special
Task Force of Uttar Pradesh police kept a round-the-clock
vigil as devotees went on with their ritual bathing.
Entry of vehicles into the area around the `sangam` had
been suspended since yesterday afternoon which resulted in
traffic snarls at various areas across the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack