Devotees throng to take holy dip in `sangam`
Allahabad (UP): Braving chilly weather,
lakhs of devotees on Monday thronged the confluence of Ganga,
Yamuna and mythical river Saraswati here on the auspicious
occasion of `Mauni Amavasya`.
People from nearby villages as well as far-off places in
the country had started pouring in since last night to take
holy dip in the `sangam` on the occasion, which was rendered
more special this year on account of the no-moon day
coinciding with a Monday.
Tight security arrangements were in place in the
sprawling landscape around the `sangam` where the annual
religious congregation of `magh mela` is also underway.
Local police assisted by Provincial Armed Constabulary,
in addition to personnel from Anti-Terrorist Squad and Special
Task Force of Uttar Pradesh police kept a round-the-clock
vigil as devotees went on with their ritual bathing.
Entry of vehicles into the area around the `sangam` had
been suspended since yesterday afternoon which resulted in
traffic snarls at various areas across the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir