Devyani Khobragade arrest: After NSA, John Kerry likely to call Salman Khurshid today
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
New Delhi: With India hinting at a deeper conspiracy behind Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade`s arrest in the United States, Secretary of State John Kerry is expected to speak to External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid on Thursday evening to clarify on the issue.
Confirming the development, Khurshid told reporters, "Yes it is possible. I will have word with Kerry on Thursday evening. This matter should be resolved. We will do whatever more is needed to be done."
When prodded by the reporters about the US flip-flop on the issue, the External Affairs Minister said, "There is a deeper US conspiracy against diplomat Devyani Khobragade."
Kerry had on Wednesday expressed regret over the arrest and strip search of Devyani in New York City.
"Hope the incident would not damage the close relationship the US has with India," the US Secretary of State said in a telephonic conversation with National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon yesterday.
With the standoff over Devyani`s arrest hurting the Indo-US ties, the White House officials also assured New Delhi that they will review the diplomat`s arrest and strip-search.
"We understand that this is a very sensitive issue for many in India," White House spokesperson Jay Carney told reporters essentially repeating the statement made by State Department spokesperson Marie Harf said.
"Accordingly, we are looking into the intake procedures surrounding this arrest to ensure that all appropriate procedures were followed and every opportunity for courtesy was afforded" to Devyani Khobragade, India`s deputy consul general in New York, Carney said.
Like Harf, Carney too stressed that an "isolated episode" should not be allowed to cloud a "broad and deep friendship" and an "important relationship" with India.
"US and India enjoy a broad and deep friendship, and this isolated episode is not in any way indicative of the close and respectful ties that we share and will continue to share," he said.
Asked about the slew of retaliatory measures taken by India in response to the treatment of Khobragade, Carney said, "Obviously, the safety and security of our diplomats and consular officers in the field is a top priority."
The External Affairs Minister yesterday told Parliament there was a "conspiracy" against Khobragade and asserted that she was innocent. He said India would bring back the 39-year-old diplomat and "restore her dignity. It is my responsibility".
According to Indian officials, Khobragade, 39, was strip-searched, cavity-searched and swabbed for DNA after her arrest in New York on charges of visa fraud last Thursday, then confined with hardened drug criminals before being released on a $250,000 bail.
National security adviser Shiv Shankar Menon has called the treatment "despicable and barbaric."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India