Devyani Khobragade row: India, US have maturity to handle sensitive issues, says Sharma
Chennai: Against the backdrop of the episode concerning Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade, Commerce and Industries Minister Anand Sharma on Friday said both India and the US had the "wisdom" and "maturity" to handle such "sensitive" issues.
"Both countries are democratic and have the wisdom and maturity to address these matters," Sharma told reporters here when asked whether trade relations between India and the United States would be affected due to the incident.
"There is a strategic partnership between the two largest democracies in the world... (India and US)," he said.
"I am sure there will be an understanding (between the two countries), considering the sensitivity of the issue," he said.
Sharma later chaired a closed-door meeting with the top industrialists of Chennai.
A 1999-batch IFS officer, Khobragade was today indicted for visa fraud and for making false statements by a grand jury in New York which held that the charges against her will remain even as she heads back to India after being accorded full diplomatic immunity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here