Devyani Khobragade row: India, US have maturity to handle sensitive issues, says Sharma
Chennai: Against the backdrop of the episode concerning Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade, Commerce and Industries Minister Anand Sharma on Friday said both India and the US had the "wisdom" and "maturity" to handle such "sensitive" issues.
"Both countries are democratic and have the wisdom and maturity to address these matters," Sharma told reporters here when asked whether trade relations between India and the United States would be affected due to the incident.
"There is a strategic partnership between the two largest democracies in the world... (India and US)," he said.
"I am sure there will be an understanding (between the two countries), considering the sensitivity of the issue," he said.
Sharma later chaired a closed-door meeting with the top industrialists of Chennai.
A 1999-batch IFS officer, Khobragade was today indicted for visa fraud and for making false statements by a grand jury in New York which held that the charges against her will remain even as she heads back to India after being accorded full diplomatic immunity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you