Devyani Khobragade row: India withdraws ID cards of US consular officials
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: A day after the deadline for American diplomats and consulate staff to submit their ID cards ended on Monday, India on Tuesday decided to take firm reciprocal steps.
According to reports, all identity cards provided to US Consular officials now stand withdrawn.
India has decided to give new ID cards only to the Consular officials and not to their family members, since that is not a courtesy extended to Indians in the US.
Sources said that new cards, which are replicas of those provided to Indian consulate officials in the US, are being given in lieu of the withdrawn cards.
Acting reciprocally, US consular staff will now only be permitted to import their requirements during the first six months on assuming office.
Meanwhile, India has also received the data, including salaries paid to staff in US schools, and is analysing it.
India is in talks with the US to resolve the standoff over the treatment meted out to India`s former deputy consul general in New York, Devyani Khobragade.
India has taken a tough stand on the incident, including paring down of special privileges meant for US diplomats.
India has termed the strip and cavity search of Khobragade barbaric and despicable and demanded an apology and unconditional withdrawal of the case against the envoy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head