Devyani Khobragade row: India withdraws ID cards of US consular officials
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: A day after the deadline for American diplomats and consulate staff to submit their ID cards ended on Monday, India on Tuesday decided to take firm reciprocal steps.
According to reports, all identity cards provided to US Consular officials now stand withdrawn.
India has decided to give new ID cards only to the Consular officials and not to their family members, since that is not a courtesy extended to Indians in the US.
Sources said that new cards, which are replicas of those provided to Indian consulate officials in the US, are being given in lieu of the withdrawn cards.
Acting reciprocally, US consular staff will now only be permitted to import their requirements during the first six months on assuming office.
Meanwhile, India has also received the data, including salaries paid to staff in US schools, and is analysing it.
India is in talks with the US to resolve the standoff over the treatment meted out to India`s former deputy consul general in New York, Devyani Khobragade.
India has taken a tough stand on the incident, including paring down of special privileges meant for US diplomats.
India has termed the strip and cavity search of Khobragade barbaric and despicable and demanded an apology and unconditional withdrawal of the case against the envoy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened