Devyani Khobragade row: Mistake made in India diplomat`s arrest, says NY lawyer
New York: A lawyer for an Indian diplomat whose arrest and strip search in New York drew angry responses from officials in India is accusing US authorities of bungling the investigation.
Attorney Daniel Arshack said today that an agent who drew up charges against his client made a mistake in reading a form submitted on behalf of her domestic worker.
Arshack says the mistake led to the arrest two weeks ago of Devyani Khobragade, India`s deputy consul general in New York. She is charged with submitting false documents to obtain a work visa for her housekeeper.
Arshack says the error was in mistaking Khobragade`s listed salary for what she intended to pay her housekeeper. Prosecutors declined to comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister