Devyani Khobragade row: Mistake made in India diplomat`s arrest, says NY lawyer
New York: A lawyer for an Indian diplomat whose arrest and strip search in New York drew angry responses from officials in India is accusing US authorities of bungling the investigation.
Attorney Daniel Arshack said today that an agent who drew up charges against his client made a mistake in reading a form submitted on behalf of her domestic worker.
Arshack says the mistake led to the arrest two weeks ago of Devyani Khobragade, India`s deputy consul general in New York. She is charged with submitting false documents to obtain a work visa for her housekeeper.
Arshack says the error was in mistaking Khobragade`s listed salary for what she intended to pay her housekeeper. Prosecutors declined to comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway