Devyani Khobragade row: Mistake made in India diplomat`s arrest, says NY lawyer
New York: A lawyer for an Indian diplomat whose arrest and strip search in New York drew angry responses from officials in India is accusing US authorities of bungling the investigation.
Attorney Daniel Arshack said today that an agent who drew up charges against his client made a mistake in reading a form submitted on behalf of her domestic worker.
Arshack says the mistake led to the arrest two weeks ago of Devyani Khobragade, India`s deputy consul general in New York. She is charged with submitting false documents to obtain a work visa for her housekeeper.
Arshack says the error was in mistaking Khobragade`s listed salary for what she intended to pay her housekeeper. Prosecutors declined to comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites