Devyani Khobragade row: Mistake made in India diplomat`s arrest, says NY lawyer
New York: A lawyer for an Indian diplomat whose arrest and strip search in New York drew angry responses from officials in India is accusing US authorities of bungling the investigation.
Attorney Daniel Arshack said today that an agent who drew up charges against his client made a mistake in reading a form submitted on behalf of her domestic worker.
Arshack says the mistake led to the arrest two weeks ago of Devyani Khobragade, India`s deputy consul general in New York. She is charged with submitting false documents to obtain a work visa for her housekeeper.
Arshack says the error was in mistaking Khobragade`s listed salary for what she intended to pay her housekeeper. Prosecutors declined to comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days