Devyani Khobragade row: Mistake made in India diplomat`s arrest, says NY lawyer
New York: A lawyer for an Indian diplomat whose arrest and strip search in New York drew angry responses from officials in India is accusing US authorities of bungling the investigation.
Attorney Daniel Arshack said today that an agent who drew up charges against his client made a mistake in reading a form submitted on behalf of her domestic worker.
Arshack says the mistake led to the arrest two weeks ago of Devyani Khobragade, India`s deputy consul general in New York. She is charged with submitting false documents to obtain a work visa for her housekeeper.
Arshack says the error was in mistaking Khobragade`s listed salary for what she intended to pay her housekeeper. Prosecutors declined to comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi