‘Dey killed for zeal to expose influential’
New Delhi: A media rights group has drawn a parallel between murders of Pakistani scribe Saleem Shahzad and senior Mumbai journalist Jyotirmoy Dey, saying both were targeted for their zeal to expose powerful elements.
The South Asia Media Commission India asked the Maharashtra government to throw the entire might of the state administration behind the probe into the killing of Dey.
The Editor (Special Investigation) of English eveninger `Mid-Day`, who has extensively reported on oil mafia and Mumbai underworld, was gunned down by four motorbike-borne men in suburban Powai on Saturday.
The commission, which works under the auspices of South Asia Free Media Association (SAFMA), demanded a thorough inquiry into the murder by the best of investigating agencies to nab the perpetrators and a fast-track trial process to
bring them to book.
"The sentiments of sympathy for the slain journalist, expressed by leaders of the government and political establishment, need to be translated into concrete steps to ensure protection to media persons, especially those engaged in writing on the activities of mafias and gangs," KK Katyal, president of the commission, said.
"There is a parallel between the Mumbai murder and the recent killing of a senior Pakistani journalist, Saleem Shahzad. Both, it is clear, were targeted for their missionary zeal to expose the nefarious activities of powerful elements,"
the commission said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!