Dey murder: Chhota Rajan’s calls led to Vora’s arrest
Mumbai: A day after Jigna Vora`s arrest in the Jyotirmoy Dey murder case, reports on Saturday claimed that the phone calls made by underworld don Chhota Rajan led to the journalist’s arrest.
According to reports, Chhota Rajan phoned many journalists and businessmen to inform them how the deputy bureau chief of Asian Age passed on information to him about the editor (investigations) of Mid Day.
The Mumbai police on Friday arrested Jigna J Vora, who is accused of sending pictures of Dey’s motorcycle, details of his whereabouts, his office and home addresses to Rajan.
Speaking on anonymity, a senior Crime Branch official told a daily, "There are four to five such people (who were called by Rajan), including journalists and businessmen, all of whom have been made witnesses in the case.”
The official also claimed that the Crime Branch has recorded the statements on camera before the magistrate.
Dey was gunned down by a group of six assailants allegedly deputed by underworld don Chhota Rajan at Powai on June 11.
The Mumbai Crime Branch has claimed to have gathered concrete evidence against Jigna for her role in senior journalist Dey’s murder.
Addressing a press conference on Friday, Mumbai Police Commissioner Arup Patnaik said, “We have prime facie evidence against Jigna, who works with the Asian Age as Special Correspondent.”
The Mumbai top cop told reporters that this is the 11th arrest in connection with the case and the Crime Branch is trying to establish Jigna’s links with the underworld.
"Police is verifying the phone records of the Asian Age journalist and our officers are also trying to ascertain if she had any underworld connection,” he said.
Jigna worked with the Mumbai Mirror, between 2005 and 2007, and possibly met Dey there.
The arrested accused are Rohee Thangappan Joseph alias Satish Kalya, Abhijit Shinde, Arun Dake, Sachin Gaikwad, Anil Waghmode, Nilesh Shendge, Mangesh Agawane, Vinod Asrani, Paulson Joseph and Deepak Sisodia.
Dey had written extensively on underworld and it is suspected that he was killed on the orders of crime boss Chhota Rajan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi