DGCA action against Jet pilot for causing mid-air emergency
Mumbai/New Delhi: Around 100 passengers on board a Jet Airways flight may have been put to risk when a check pilot triggered an emergency situation mid-air to test the pilot`s ability to handle it but the airline said their safety was never compromised.
Taking stern action for the possible threat to the lives
of the passengers and the crew on a flight two months ago,
the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) has de-rostered
the two pilots and suspended the check-pilot`s rating pending
enquiry. The incident came to light today.
The incident occurred on Jet Airways Delhi-Mumbai flight
9W-322 on October 20 when the check-pilot, who was seated
behind the cockpit crew, pulled off a circuit-breaker
affecting the Boeing 737-900`s auto-pilot mechanism and other
While no one was injured in the incident, the DGCA
probe, which is continuing, found that "the check pilot had
resorted to prohibited practice of testing the skill of the
pilot". The aircraft`s ground proximity warning system also
got switched off due to the action of the check-pilot.
In a statement, Jet said safety and security of the
passengers onboard the flight was never at any risk and
initial findings have indicated that the aircraft was being
operated within permissible parameters.
"Flight data analysis has revealed that minor system
degradation had occurred which had no adverse effect on the
continuity of approach and landing in prevailing weather
conditions," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Athlete Dutee Chand qualifies for Rio Olympics in 100m sprint
- Enthusiasm in social networking may earn you a job: ASSOCHAM report
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- Vikram Bhatt rips apart Kamaal R Khan through FB post! – Full text
- Google may launch its own handset to take on Apple
- Faulty gear-shift lever makes FCA recall 13,092 Maserati cars in US
- Pakistan looks for paid lobbyist in US after recent diplomatic disasters
- Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, Kolkata releases exam dates for PGET 2016