DGCA discusses safety issues with Pawan Hans
New Delhi: With the helicopter carrying
Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Dorjee Khandu still missing,
aviation regulator DGCA on Monday held a meeting with officials of
Pawan Hans Helicopters Limited to review safety issues,
especially in the northeast.
"We held a meeting today with the Pawan Hans officials
and discussed safety issues, especially in the northeast,"
DGCA chief E K Bharat Bhushan said here.
He did not elaborate while replying to a question
whether there was any violation of Standard Operating
Procedures (SOPs) by the state-run helicopter firm in its
operations in the northeastern states.
Civil Aviation Minister Vayalar Ravi said a "vigorous
search" was being carried out in the area but there was no
information so far on the whereabouts of the missing Pawan
He said the DGCA has decided to carry out inspection
of about 15 helipads in the northeast.
Pawan Hans had yesterday announced suspension of its
commercial operations in the region, saying all its
helicopters and resources based there were being deployed for
search and rescue operations.
The four-seater single-engine Pawan Hans helicopter
AS-B350-B-3 chopper, with five persons including the chief
minister on board, went missing on Saturday, 20 minutes after
taking off from Tawang at 9.56 AM.
Meanwhile, the search operations to locate the missing
chopper is now being confined to a 66-sq km area in West
Kameng district of Arunachal Pradesh where satellite images
have shown metallic objects. The area is heavily forested and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...