DGCA issues new air safety guidelines
New Delhi: Fresh guidelines have been
issued to pilots and air traffic controllers on ways to handle
unexpected events like systems malfunction, communication
trouble or weather-related problems, as was witnessed in the
Faridabad air crash that claimed 10 lives.
Rules have also been framed to counter the problem of
fatigue among ATC officers and pilots, apart from their
general working conditions.
While several helicopters crashed in bad weather across
the country, high velocity winds were suspected to have been
the major cause of Thursday`s accident involving the air
ambulance in Faridabad.
On May 22 last year, 158 people were killed when Air
India Express flight IX 812 overshot the Bajpe airport runway
in Mangalore and crashed into a deep gorge.
This major crash had shaken up the aviation industry and
the government which was forced to undertake a review of the
safety oversight systems covering all related issues relating
to aerodromes, air navigation, airlines, flight operations and
training of pilots.
In a series of operations circulars published in the
past few days, the Directorate General of Civil Aviation has
recommended that all training of pilots should include
unexpected or surprise situations which can crop up anytime
mid-air or while landing and take-off.
Issues like how to face sudden events like systems
malfunction, deep air pockets, crew-member incapacitation or
communication problems with the ATC or other crew members have
been dealt with in detail, with the DGCA asking all training
institutions and airlines to integrate these issues into their
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof