DGCA`s air safety wing chief shunted out
New Delhi: A senior official of the country`s
aviation regulator in charge of air safety has been shunted
out on charges of complacency in handling crucial matters
relating to accident prevention.
Bir Singh Rai, Deputy Director General (DDG) of the
Directorate of Air Safety of DGCA, was removed from the post
with immediate effect and his charge given to Lalit Gupta,
another DDG of the Aircraft Engineering Directorate as an
additional portfolio, official sources said here.
Rai was heading the air safety directorate since last
year following the retirement of then Joint DG A K Chopra. No
assignment has yet been given to Rai, they said.
His removal came after some inquiry reports into certain
air accidents and incidents were found to be "misleading",
taken off the website of the Directorate General of Civil
Aviation (DGCA) and revisions carried out, the sources said.
Several major and minor discrepancies were found in these
reports finalised and approved by Rai, they claimed.
Gupta, who has now taken charge, is understood to have
started reviewing all inquiries going on currently and taking
rectification measures if found necessary.
A meeting of airline executives is also being convened to
review the actions taken by them on various aircraft-related
incidents and accidents and the remedial measures adopted, the
Industry sources, however, pointed out that removal of an
officer would not have much impact on safety standards due to
a major shortage of experienced staff, particularly at the
senior level, facing the DGCA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog