`Dialogue with India on Iran sanctions to continue`
Washington: Calling India a "valued partner",
US Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asian
Affairs Robert Blake on Tuesday said Washington will continue its
dialogue with New Delhi on the issue of sanctions against
Asked if India is undermining the sanctions regime against
Iran by "ramping up" trade engagement, Blake said, "We
continue to have a good dialogue with many countries,
including India, on the Iran sanctions. India (is a) valued
Blake was responding to questions over social networking
As the Obama administration imposed new sanctions against
Iran, US had said last week that it was talking to India,
Pakistan, Russia, and China about what they can do about
weaning themselves from Iranian crude.
"We are engaged in conversations with all of these
governments with regard to the importance of implementing
existing international sanctions, national sanctions," State
Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland had said when asked
about several countries still doing business with Iran.
On the issue of steps against trafficking of persons,
Blake said he was pleased with progress in India, Bangladesh,
Tajikistan and Sri Lanka.
He added, "We all must cooperate to end TIP (trafficking
Asked about a possible resolution against Sri Lanka at UN
Human Rights Council sessions in Geneva for alleged war
crimes, Blake said, "the res. is under discussion; great
opportunity for SriLanka to describe what it intends to do to
implement the LLRC`s recs."
The US diplomat, who has been a former envoy to Colombo,
also spoke about Maj Gen Shavendra Silva, who was chosen by
Asian countries to sit on a UN committee about peacekeeping
but was eventually barred.
"Appointment was inappropriate given lack of independent
investigation into end of war circumstances," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Ruby Rai, Bihar Class 12 topper now under arrest for cheating, says she never wanted to top the exam
- Euro 2016: Iceland stun England in one of greatest ever shocks
- Three new suicide attacks in Lebanon village near Syria
- Preparing for Brexit, Britain may see new PM by early September
- US says India has shown sustained commitment to non-proliferation