Did Abu Salem plot attack on himself?
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: Gangster Abu Salem is back in his cell inside the Taloja Central Jail after being attacked on Thursday by a fellow inmate. But, doubts have begun to rise on the motive behind the attack.
Salem, an accused in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case, was shot at inside the Taloja Central Jail by Devendra Jagtap, an accused in the advocate Shahid Azmi murder case. Salem sustained injury to his hand as Jagtap fired one round.
Devendra Jagtap, alias JD, is a member of the Bharat Nepali gang and is known to be close to Salem. Sources say it was not possible for Jagtap to open fire at Salem over a minor altercation.
Sensing something fishy, sources asked why did Jagtap miss Salem and hit him only on his hand when the incident took place in an open area. They add Salem could have plotted the attack on himself so as to push for his case for repatriation to Portugal from where he was extradited to India in 2005.
His lawyer has already said that Salem would move court seeking repatriation following the latest attack.
Meanwhile, a jail officer and three cops have been suspended for lapses that led to the attack on Salem.
This is the second attack on Salem inside a jail after he was deported from Portugal. He had faced attack at the Arthur Road jail as well in 2010.
Salem was attacked in July 2010 inside the maximum security Arthur Road Central Jail in Mumbai by a rival gangster Mustafa Dossa with a spoon sharpened into a knife-like weapon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report