Did Abu Salem plot attack on himself?
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: Gangster Abu Salem is back in his cell inside the Taloja Central Jail after being attacked on Thursday by a fellow inmate. But, doubts have begun to rise on the motive behind the attack.
Salem, an accused in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case, was shot at inside the Taloja Central Jail by Devendra Jagtap, an accused in the advocate Shahid Azmi murder case. Salem sustained injury to his hand as Jagtap fired one round.
Devendra Jagtap, alias JD, is a member of the Bharat Nepali gang and is known to be close to Salem. Sources say it was not possible for Jagtap to open fire at Salem over a minor altercation.
Sensing something fishy, sources asked why did Jagtap miss Salem and hit him only on his hand when the incident took place in an open area. They add Salem could have plotted the attack on himself so as to push for his case for repatriation to Portugal from where he was extradited to India in 2005.
His lawyer has already said that Salem would move court seeking repatriation following the latest attack.
Meanwhile, a jail officer and three cops have been suspended for lapses that led to the attack on Salem.
This is the second attack on Salem inside a jail after he was deported from Portugal. He had faced attack at the Arthur Road jail as well in 2010.
Salem was attacked in July 2010 inside the maximum security Arthur Road Central Jail in Mumbai by a rival gangster Mustafa Dossa with a spoon sharpened into a knife-like weapon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing