Did India agree to demolish bunkers for Chinese troop withdrawal?
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Indian government may have denied any deal behind the Chinese troops` withdrawal from the Depsang Valley in Ladakh, but reports said New Delhi has agreed to remove bunkers set up by the Indian Army in Chumar near the Line of Actual Control (LAC).
The concession of demolishing bunkers at Chumar only facilitated the deal that led to the Chinese troops pulling back to their pre-April 15 position, highly placed sources said.
The bunkers were built close to the LAC to monitor the Karakoram highway. However, the Chinese were not happy with the `permanent structures` and had demanded their removal.
China is also reported to be unhappy with the re-activation of advanced landing grounds (ALGS) at Daulat Beg Oldie, Fukche and Nyoma and construction of other infrastructure along the LAC over the past four to five years.
The government had yesterday dismissed speculation of any "deal" while resolving the situation. Government sources said the two sides have only agreed to sit and talk about the peace and tranquillity along the LAC while restoring to the status quo in the sector.
China, meanwhile, stopped short of acknowledging that its troops, which had intruded 19 kilometres into Indian territory, were going back to position prior to April 15 but said the "standoff incident" has been resolved through "fruitful consultations".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’