Did not name Vajpayee in JPC draft report on 2G: Chacko
New Delhi: Under attack from the BJP, JPC Chairman PC Chacko on Monday said he has not named former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee in his draft report on the 2G spectrum issue.
"I want to confirm that I have not taken anyone`s name in this report. This must be someone`s imagination. They must have calculated who was in power or in office in a particular period. I have not named Vajpayee or any other minister in the report. There is no such thing," he told reporters outside Parliament here.
BJP President Rajnath Singh had yesterday attacked the JPC saying his party would raise strong protest against any attempt to "malign" Vajpayee in 2G spectrum issue and on coal block allocation probe.
The JPC chairman said he was in favour of a probe into leakage of the committee`s draft report.
"If they (opposition parties) have moved such a motion, I am with it because we have always faced this problem... Every meeting, I used to tell my colleagues that please don`t allow the classified information to reach media. But despite that, it was being leaked," he said.
"This time also, when the draft report was prepared, I took special caution that sealed covers are made and it was sent to everyone through special messengers. How can anybody observe more caution than this? If there is any confusion over leakage, then notice should be taken," Chacko said.
Asked if he was guilty of leaking the report, Chacko said, "They (opposition parties) have not blamed me. The matter is how it got leaked to the media. I am not accused for it."
On whether the report would be adopted by the Committee, Chacko said, "I am not worried about numbers in the Committee. It is not a UPA or a Congress report, it is Committee of Parliament. It is the responsibility of all the members of the committee to get it through. I am confident that the report would be adopted."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Woman suicide over morphed picture: One arrested
- 7th Pay Commission: Gratuity ceiling doubled to Rs 20 lakh
- Govinda ultimate Bollywood dancer for me: Farah Khan
- Harbhajan Singh to sponsor kit for disabled cricketers of India
- Maharashtra B.Ed CET Results 2016 to be declared on Thursday (June 30). Log on to bed.mhpravesh.in