Did not share chemistry with Dayanidhi Maran: Tata
New Delhi: Tata Sons Chairman Ratan Tata on Monday admitted that he did not share good "chemistry" with
Union Minister Dayanidhi Maran but said he did not influence
the selection of ministers at the time formation of the second
UPA government in 2009.
Against the backdrop of the leakage of the tapped
telephone conversations of his and corporate lobbyist Niira
Radia with various personalities, he appeared before the
Parliament`s Public Accounts
Committee (PAC) to answer questions in connection with its
probe into the 2G scam.
In reply to a question by members, Tata said he did
not share good "chemistry" with Maran.
He was asked about his letter to Tamil Nadu Chief
Minister and DMK supremo K Karunanidhi in which he reportedly
appreciated the then Telecom Minister A Raja.
He was also asked as to why did he not write to the
Prime Minister a Union Minister and instead chose to address
the letter to a state Chief Minister.
To a question on how the letter came into public
domain, he merely said Sunil Mittal (of Bharti Telecom) was
the first one to refer to the letter. But he did not blame
anyone for the "leak", sources said. He maintained he would
not have benefited from the leak.
When Radia was asked by the PAC about the letter, she
said she was not aware of the contents as it was placed in a
sealed envelope. She had only handed over the letter by Tata
The Committee members also sought to know from the
Tata Sons Chairman as to why he wrote the letter when there
was so much controversy surrounding Raja`s decisions as
Telecom Minister in 2007.
He said there was no controversy. But members pointed
that the letter was written after the cut-off date for
submission of bids for 2G spectrum allocation was advanced and
there were hectic communications between the Telecom Ministry,
the PMO, the Finance Ministry and the Cabinet Secretariat.
Raja`s predecessor, Dayanidhi Maran and Tata had
clashed five years ago over Sun TV group ? owned by Maran`s
brother Kalanidhi Maran- showing interest in acquiring equity
stakes in direct-to-home (DTH) venture of Tatas--Tata Sky.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened