Didn`t discuss Karmapa issue with US envoy: Dalai Lama`s Office
Dharamsala: The controversy over the 17th Karmapa did not figure in a meeting between US Ambassador Timothy J Roemer and Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama, the latter`s office here said on Monday.
"Neither side raised the issue of the Karmapa at all during the meeting," an official statement quoting Tibetan spiritual leader`s private secretary Chimme Choekyappa said.
Roemer and his wife Sally, who reached here Feb 23 afternoon for a two-day visit, flew back to New Delhi after the talks and visiting some Tibetan establishments.
Talking to reporters prior to his departure to New Delhi, Roemer said the meeting with the Dalai Lama was "the first time in many years by a US ambassador".
Asked what transpired during the meeting, he said the dialogue process between Beijing and the Tibetan leader`s envoys, which came to a standstill after the ninth round of talks in January last year, were among the "many important issues" discussed.
"The US had asked China to continue the dialogue process on Tibet with envoys of the Dalai Lama," he said and added the US was very much concerned about the human rights of Tibetans.
The Dalai Lama`s Office did not comment in detail on Roemer`s visit, but was upbeat over the "positive" outcome of the meeting that lasted for more than an hour.
It said there was no mention of the controversy over the 17th Karmapa, Ogyen Trinley Dorje, that erupted when unaccounted foreign currency was found in his monastery. The money was subsequently found to be nothing but donations made by his followers, officials say.
Refusing to comment officially on the role of the US regarding resumption of talks between the Dalai Lama`s envoys and Beijing, Choekyappa told a news agency the meeting was focused on various global issues.
"Of course, environment and recent socio-political conditions in the Middle East and North Africa were among the major issues. His Holiness the Dalai Lama expressed concern over recent incidents of violence," he said.
According to a post on the official website of the US embassy, Roemer visited Dharamsala to dedicate a centre for refugees. Roemer was the special guest at the inauguration of the new USD 1.4 million Tibetan Refugee Reception Centre, which received approximately 60 percent of its funding from the US government and can house up to 500 refugees.
The Dalai Lama heads the Tibetan-government-in-exile from this town in Himachal Pradesh. Nearly 100,000 Tibetan refugees live in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly