Didn`t refer Gauhati HC verdict on CBI in trial court: Sajjan Kumar
New Delhi: Congress leader Sajjan Kumar on Saturday denied having referred before a Delhi court the Gauhati High Court judgement on CBI seeking relief in the agency`s probe against him in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case.
However, his claim was disputed by the counsel for the riot victims who said Kumar had mentioned the November 6 verdict by showing newspaper reports in the court of District Judge JR Aryan.
In an e-mail today, Kumar`s lawyer Anil Sharma claimed several newspapers and news channels have incorrectly reported that his counsel cited the high court verdict.
"It is clarified specifically that it was not the stand that consequent to the judgement of Gauhati High Court, the case cannot proceed against him (Kumar)," the e-mail said.
However, Sharma himself had said yesterday that he had sought such a relief mentioning the Gauhati High Court order.
The clarification was disputed by senior advocate HS Phoolka, who represents riot victims in the case, saying "Sajjan Kumar`s lawyer I U Khan (yesterday) mentioned Gauhati High Court judgement holding CBI as illegal and showed a newspaper report.
"In response I argued that proceedings cannot be stopped on this ground. I also argued those were proceedings for quashing charge sheet and if he wants he can go for quashing. Sajjan Kumar was also present in court. Now his email to media denying this is totally wrong."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- When Muslim dies they give 20 lakhs, but Hindu doesn't even get 20,000: Sakshi Maharaj