Didn`t write for any K`taka newspaper: Taslima
New Delhi: Exiled Bangladeshi writer Taslima Nasreen Tuesday said the appearance of an article in a Karnataka
newspaper purportedly written by her, which triggered violent
protests in Shimoga and Hassan towns, is a "deliberate attempt
to malign" her and "misuse" her writings to create disturbance
in the society.
Nasreen said in a statement made available to the media that she
never penned any article for a newspaper in Karnataka.
"The incident that occurred in Karnataka on Monday shocked
me. I learned that it was provoked by an article written by me
that appeared in a Karnataka newspaper. But I have never
written any article for any Karnataka newspaper in my life,"
Nasreen said, "The appearance of the article is atrocious.
In any of my writings I have never mentioned that Prophet
Muhammad was against burkha. Therefore this is a distorted
The author said, "I suspect that it is a deliberate
attempt to malign me and to misuse my writings to create
disturbance in the society. I wish peace will prevail."
The violence in Shimoga, the home town of Karnataka Chief
Minister B S Yeddyurappa, left two persons dead, one of
them in police firing on Sunday.
> Nasreen, staying in an undisclosed destination due to
security reasons since her return to India last month, had her
visa extended recently by six months till August this year.
Replying to a question, she said she would not like to say
anything other than the statement issued by her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report