Didn`t write for any K`taka newspaper: Taslima
New Delhi: Exiled Bangladeshi writer Taslima Nasreen Tuesday said the appearance of an article in a Karnataka
newspaper purportedly written by her, which triggered violent
protests in Shimoga and Hassan towns, is a "deliberate attempt
to malign" her and "misuse" her writings to create disturbance
in the society.
Nasreen said in a statement made available to the media that she
never penned any article for a newspaper in Karnataka.
"The incident that occurred in Karnataka on Monday shocked
me. I learned that it was provoked by an article written by me
that appeared in a Karnataka newspaper. But I have never
written any article for any Karnataka newspaper in my life,"
Nasreen said, "The appearance of the article is atrocious.
In any of my writings I have never mentioned that Prophet
Muhammad was against burkha. Therefore this is a distorted
The author said, "I suspect that it is a deliberate
attempt to malign me and to misuse my writings to create
disturbance in the society. I wish peace will prevail."
The violence in Shimoga, the home town of Karnataka Chief
Minister B S Yeddyurappa, left two persons dead, one of
them in police firing on Sunday.
> Nasreen, staying in an undisclosed destination due to
security reasons since her return to India last month, had her
visa extended recently by six months till August this year.
Replying to a question, she said she would not like to say
anything other than the statement issued by her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM