Diesel decontrol to lead to overall price rise: Gurudas
Kolkata: AITUC leader Gurudas Dasgupta on Thursday slammed the Centre for virtual deregulation of diesel prices and claimed it would fuel price rise.
"Government has taken this decision at a time when rupee depreciation is at an all-time high. Partial deregulation of diesel price will lead to overall price rise," Dasgupta said.
Speaking at a convention of 11 central trade unions which have called a 2-day nationwide general strike on February 21 and 22, he said, "Government wants to sell India.
"It lacks any policy to bring down inflation, poverty and unemployment problems, while allowing foreign investments to flow in. When did FDI in retail give employment to anybody in the world?" he asked.
Dasgupta said that the strike has been called as a counter-offensive against `anti-people policies` of the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed