Difference in Congress over Polavaram issue comes to fore
New Delhi: Differences in the Congress over Polavaram issue came to fore on Monday with party MPs from Telangana interrupting the speech of Jairam Ramesh while another claiming the former Environment Minister had not consulted local MPs while studying the project.
"Our Jairam Ramesh says that he has met everyone but we don`t know in which village and where. He goes to every district but does not inform the MPs. I am speaking with an open heart," said Congress MP from Telangana V Hanumantha Rao.
"He is our MP, our minister but he does not call anyone, works alone and submits his report," Rao added while speaking in the Rajya Sabha.
He requested Home Minister Rajnath Singh to visit the area and witness the plight of the tribals in the area.
Earlier, Ramesh`s speech in Rajya Sabha was repeatedly interrupted by other MPs including his party colleagues from Telangana.
Ramesh spoke in favour of Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation (Amendment) Bill, which paves way for the Polavaram project in Andhra Pradesh by merging some villages and mandals of Telangana with Seemandhra, amid opposition from his party colleagues V Hanumantha Rao and Ananda Bhaskar Rapolu as also TRS member K Keshava Rao.
Taking strong objection to it, Ramesh said, "I do not need sermons from my colleagues from Telangana. This decision was taken in difficult circumstances. Please remember, the issue of Hyderabad was a litmus test for Telangana. For Andhra Pradesh, this project is an emotional issue."
Information and Broadcasting minister Prakash Javadekar later said the Congress has been "exposed" in Rajya Sabha even during the Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Bill when Congress members opposed Jairam Ramesh.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!