Differences in UPA over Sri Lankan Tamils issue
New Delhi: Sharp differences in the UPA over the Sri Lankan Tamils issue came to the fore in Lok Sabha on Wednesday with the DMK accusing the Congress of leaving it in the "lurch" on the emotional issue.
"President`s Address failed to address (the Sri Lankan Tamils) issue. Tamils are weeping. ...They (Congress) have left the DMK in the lurch (on the issue)," DMK leader TKS Elangovan said.
Participating in the discussion on the Motion of Thanks to the President for his Address, he said India should consider tough actions including economic sanctions against Sri Lanka for violating human rights of ethnic Tamils in the island nation.
"Why can`t we impose economic sanction against Sri Lanka," Elangovan asked citing similar sanctions faced by India when it experimented atom bomb in Pokhran when Atal Bihari Vajpayee was the Prime Minister.
Elangovan`s speech was disrupted by Congress MPs including Aaroon Rasheed from Tamil Nadu, saying thousands of Sri Lankan Tamils were also killed by LTTE headed by V Prabhakaran.
Irked by the Congress MPs` allegation, Elangovan asked, "Do you want to take away the legacy of former Prime Ministers Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi" who were sympathetic towards Tamil`s cause.
When Sri Lanka says the 13th amendment in Sri Lankan Constitution for devolution of powers to provincial councils in that country will not be implemented, what will happen to "good intentions" of Rajiv Gandhi who was instrumental in signing an agreement with then Sri Lankan president Jayewardane in 1987, he asked. This amendment was part of the accord.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users