Different probe agencies seeks Jundal`s custody
New Delhi: Three probe agencies on Thursday moved a Delhi Court seeking the custody of key 26/11 handler Abu Jundal to interrogate him in connection with several terror strikes in the country.
Mumbai Police wants to confront him with Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist of the 2008 Mumbai carnage.
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) moved the court of Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vinod Yadav for the custody of Jundal alias Syed Zabiuddin in an FIR lodged on June 8, 2012 in a terrorism case here.
The Mumbai Crime Branch also moved the CMM`s court, saying they need him to question in the presence of Kasab, who has been sentenced to death in the 26/11 case.
The court decided to hear the crime branch`s application on July 5 when it will also decide the application of Mumbai`s Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) seeking custodial interrogation of Jundal for Mumbai serial blasts since 2006.
Earlier in the day, the NIA informed the court about the lodging of an FIR against Jundal and another person on June 8 on the basis of a source information that they were in India and were amassing explosive substances like ammonium nitrate for carrying out blasts in the country.
The agency also submitted to the court an order issued this morning by a designated NIA court, which said Jundal`s custody be handed over to it for interrogation.
It sought direction from the court for his production before the designated NIA court on July 6.
The CMM has put up the application for hearing on July 4.
The CMM had yesterday refused to grant to Mumbai Police the custody of Jundal in connection with various cases of murder, attempt to murder and other offences under the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and the Aurangabad arms haul case of 2006.
While disallowing the plea yesterday, the court had said, "Since the investigation of the Special Cell of Delhi Police with which the custody of the accused is in full swing, it would not be appropriate for this court to cut short his (Jundal) police custody and handover his custody to Mumbai Police."
Delhi Police had opposed the application of its counterpart from Mumbai, saying that Jundal was in their custody till July 5 and the probe in the case was in progress and as such for the present, the custody cannot be handed over to Mumbai Police.
Immediately after the plea was denied, Mumbai Police had moved a fresh application for his custody as early as possible, which has been fixed for hearing on July 5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read