Digvijay flays BJP for projecting `secular` face
New Delhi: Congress leader Digvijay Singh on Saturday hit out at BJP over its attempt of "commitment to secularism", saying none would believe it unless action is taken against Narendra Modi for Gujarat riots and L K Advani and others "own up their wrong doings" in the Babri issue.
"Are L K Advani, Murli Manohar Joshi and Uma Bharati ready to accept, in the court, their crime in the demolition of Babri mosque? If they agree to it, then it will be accepted that there is some substance in their talks of communal harmony.
They should first own up their wrong-doings.
"Secondly as long as no action is taken by the BJP against Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, who openly participated in the communal riots in the state in 2002 against innocent Muslims, nobody will trust their talk of communal harmony," Singh told reporters here.
Later, the AICC general secretary posted on Twitter that, "Advani talks of projecting NDA as a symbol of Secularism in 2014. Can any Secular person trust them till Modi rules the roost in BJP ?"
Singh`s remark comes a day after BJP veteran L K Advani said at the national council meet in Surajkund that there was a need for the party to strive for an "imaginative reprojection" of its "commitment to secularism" and reassured the minority community that it does not support discrimination on the basis of religion.
Advani, while delivering the valedictory address at the meet, had maintained that BJP needs to reassure the minority community that "we brook no discrimination or injustice in dealing with different sections of our diverse society".
Singh also took a swipe at former Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal without naming him and said that he had always maintained that some people surrounding Anna Hazare are "very ambitious". He at the same time added Hazare is a "gentleman".
Singh was responding to comments of Hazare, who in a a veiled attack on Kejriwal, yesterday said that "politics has split" the anti-corruption movement and the pro-party group has gone against his will.
"Anna is a gentleman and is invovled in social work. We should not doubt his intentions," he said.
He said that "some ambitious people have got close to him. But now Anna Hazare has severed ties with them. Hence he should be trusted".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi