Digvijay `intrigued` by timing of ITAT order on Bofors
New Delhi: The timing of the Income Tax
Appellate Tribunal (ITAT) order, which has led to resurfacing
of the Bofors issue, has intrigued the Congress.
AICC general secretary Digvijay Singh today posed a
number of questions on the timing as also the content of the
ITAT order that has been latched up by the Opposition to
target Congress and party chief Sonia Gandhi on the issue of
"It is intriguing. The case was to be heard on 4th of
January and it came on 31st. The appeal was that of late Win
Chhadda`s son. How did Quattrocchi`s name came in...To the
best of my knowledge, Win Chadda`s case assessment order had
no mention of Quattrocchi. How did this name find place in
Appellant Authority`s order," Singh asked.
His remarks have come on a day when Finance Minister
Pranab Mukherjee has said that the government was examining
the decision of the Income Tax tribunal in the Bofors case and
will decide the future course of action later.
"As the Law Ministry has pointed (out), we are examining
the (Bofors) papers. After that it will be seen," he told
reporters when asked about the future course of action by the
government on the recent ruling of the ITAT.
In its ruling, the ITAT had said that kickbacks of Rs 61
crore were paid to the late Win Chaddha and Italian
businessman Ottavio Quattrocchi in the Howitzer gun deal and
they are liable to pay tax in India on such income.
The order further said, "... Inaction in this regard may
lead to a non-existent undesirable and detrimental notion that
India is a soft state and one can meddle with its tax laws
Asked whether he sensed a "foul play" in the ITAT order,
Singh gave an evasive answer.
"I am only saying that it is very intriguing" he said.
He said that though he has not seen the assessment order
in Win Chadda case passed earlier "it should be seen in the
assessment order that whether Quattrocchi`s name was mentioned
in that or not."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe