Digvijay is now interested in buying and selling of ‘burqas’: BJP
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Congress General Secretary Digvijay Singh was at the receiving end when the BJP vice-president Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi took a straight pot-shot at him on Tuesday.
After Digvijay alleged that the saffron party had bought 10,000 burqas from Indore just before a rally by BJP’s PM nominee, Narendra Modi in Madhya Pradesh, Naqvi said that BJP does not need to distribute burqas or caps to ensure that people turn up for its rallies and programmes.
"We knew Digvijay Singhji as a leader of the Congress Party, but for the first time we are seeing him as a leader who is interested in the buying and selling of burqas. He keeps a track as to how many burqas and caps are purchased where. So, I think he will not gain from this kind of a politics," Naqvi said.
"As far as the Bharatiya Janata Party is concerned, it does not require distributing burqas or caps to ensure that people turn up for its rallies and programmes," he added.
Meanwhile, party spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman also said that the BJP does not indulge in appeasement politics.
"Congress has been doing votebank politics for the last 50 years. They should be knowing what is appeasement politics. We don`t do that. I will be shocked if they do not pick up something about a Modi rally," Sitharaman said.
She added that Congress has been raising such issues and evading questions being posed by BJP`s PM candidate Narendra Modi.
"Congress is running away from answering the questions that Modi is raising. These questions cannot be answered by the Congress so they are looking for such trivia," she said.
Digvijay Singh earlier in the day alleged that 10,000 burqas were purchased in Indore to feign the support of the Muslim minority for the BJP.
"In the entire country, it is being built up that the Bharatiya Janata Party has the support of theMuslim minority . ...Now, as proof, I have with me a bill which shows that 10,000 burqas have been bought from Indore. The same number of topis could not be found here, but were ordered from Lucknow. I will put that bill before you, as well," he said in Indore.
Modi, who is the BJP`s prime ministerial candidate, will speak at the Karyakarta Mahakumbh in Bhopal tomorrow as part of his party`s election campaign in the lead-up to the 2014 General Elections.
Digvijay Singh had earlier on Sunday lashed out at Modi, and said the facts that he presented at speech to the Indian Diaspora in America indicated that it was `feku` at his best.
"FEKU MODI at his best. Giving fake figures of growth during NDA regime," Digvijay Singh said on the microblogging site Twitter.
Praising the six-year tenure of NDA under the leadership of Atal Bihari Vajpayee and party`s veteran leader LK Advani, Modi had earlier said, "Under Vajpayee government it looked like that the 21st century would be the century of India. But with his departure, the downfall started."
He said that the growth rate was 8.4 per cent but it came down to 4.8 per cent during the UPA`s rule.
"However, once Vajpayee`s tenure as PM came to an end, we regressed and are moving backwards," he said, while addressing the Indian Diaspora through a live video conference.
With ANI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA