Digvijay moves amendment; does not press for it
New Delhi: Congress leader Digvijay Singh on Sunday moved an amendment to the political resolution related to disallowing religious fundamentalism to hijack the politics in the country.
However, the 83rd AICC Plenary decided to skip the amendment with Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee declaring that he agreed with the spirit of the changes sought by Singh but would request him not to press for it.
The former Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister had sought insertion of a paragraph: "Indian National Congress has never compromised with any religious fundamentalism whether Hindu or Muslim. Even before Independence, we fought Muslim League on one hand and RSS and Hindu Mahasabha on the other hand. We subscribe to strengthen the secular fabric of this country and not allow religious fundamentalism to hijack the politics in India".
At the end of the debate which saw participation of several leaders, Mukherjee, who was Chairman of the Drafting Committee, said that he agreed with the spirit of the amendment moved by Singh. "But I would request those who have moved amendments that they should not press for it," he said.
After this the Political Resolution was adopted unanimously without any changes.
Mukherjee had moved the resolution and it was seconded by Singh and Kumari Selja.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?