Digvijay regrets allotting land to Asaram during his tenure
Shajapur (MP): Congress leader Digvijay Singh has said he committed a "mistake" by allotting land to Asaram Bapu, who is facing rape charges, during his tenure as chief minister and demanded that BJP government cancel the lease.
"Allotment of land to Asaram Bapu was a mistake and I regret it," Digvijay, who has been accusing BJP leaders of "protecting" the controversial self-style godman, said.
He was addressing a farmers` meeting organised by the Congress at Susner in Shajapur district yesterday.
Singh, who was chief minister of Madhya Pradesh from 1993 to 2003, had allotted land to Asaram for developing his ashram in Indore.
He demanded that the BJP government should cancel the land lease agreement.
Earlier, Digvijay had said in Indore that in 1998, all political parties had recommended that land be allotted to Asaram since none of them were aware of his character and what he would do in future.
The 72-year-old godman is presently in judicial custody after being arrested for allegedly sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl at his ashram.
The senior Congress leader also targeted yoga guru yoga guru Ramdev accusing him of acquiring wealth amounting to Rs 1,100 crores and sought to know how he had accumulated so much of assets.
He also alleged that Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan was taking out his Janashirwad Yatra from the money allotted for the central welfare schemes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh