Digvijay Singh calls spot-fixing a heinous crime
New Delhi: Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh said on Saturday that spot-fixing is a heinous crime, and added that stringent action must be taken against all those involved in wrong doings.
Singh, however, said that he backs cricket and the lucrative Indian Premier League (IPL) tournament.
"First and foremost I want to say that I am in favour of Cricket and also IPL. I also favour the way in which cricketers benefit from the IPL. But spot fixing is a heinous crime and stringent action must be taken against those who are involved in it," he said.
BCCI vice-president Arun Jaitley earlier on Saturday said that there would be some significant developments in the next 24 hours.
"Wait for a day and you will hear something significant today," he told mediapersons outside his residence in New Delhi.
There are indications that more senior functionaries would resign to mount pressure on BCCI president N Srinivasan to step down in the wake of IPL spot-fixing scandal.
Two top BCCI officials, BCCI secretary Sanjay Jagdale and treasurer Ajay Shirke, have tendered their resignations in the wake of spot-fixing scandal.
The chorus for Srinivasan`s ouster as BCCI president has grown louder with BCCI heavyweights appearing to be firm regarding his resignation. Union Minister and former BCCI boss Sharad Pawar has also joined in the attack.
The Sports Ministry has put pressure on Srinivasan, and said that he should tender his resignation on moral grounds, pending the outcome of the inquiry.
Despite suggestions from BCCI heavyweights- Rajeev Shukla and Arun Jaitley-that he should disassociate himself from the procedures of the inquiry commission investigating the spot-fixing scandal, Srinivasan has so far showed no signs of relenting under pressure.
A Mumbai court had on Friday extended the police custody of actor Vindoo Dara Singh and Srinivasan`s son-in-law Gurunath Meiyappan till June 3.
The Mumbai Crime Brach on Friday also recorded the statement of Chennai hotelier Vikram Agarwal, a friend of Meiyappan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?